When you trade or invest across borders, your balance sheet is at risk. In commodities, where pre-payment is common as a means of financing production and guaranteeing long-term supply, non-payment or non-delivery can have a devastating commercial effect. We help you protect yourself against these sorts of risks.
We also help you manage political risk. Foreign government actions like war, trade embargoes and expropriation can affect your bottom line, costing you tens or hundreds of millions. They can even cause you to write off your investment completely. The longer your trade or investment agreement, the greater the uncertainty – and the more you need cover.
We arrange insurance coverage that protects you against political and counterparty risks in trade transactions. We work with commodity traders and the banks that finance them, as well as with equity investors who have subsidiaries or physical assets abroad. Clients include the leading banks, construction companies, international commodities traders, industrial companies, miners, oil producers and exporters.
We’re more than an insurance broker – we’re a partner helping you protect your balance sheet.
We investigate the insurance market to find counterparties who’ll take on your political and trade credit risks at a premium you’re comfortable with.
We’ll advocate for you and negotiate hard on your behalf. As well as this, we’ll:
- analyse your risk and identify areas where a government action may threaten your investment
- study your contracts and recommend changes if needed to make them insurable
- suggest ways to structure your risk to reassure underwriters, such as obtaining collateral or guaranties
- get underwriters more closely involved with you and your risk to develop a true partnership
- advise you on the best way to manage your risk, not just the best insurance to buy